Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Artsy Fartsy

So I don't really cook; not that I don't want to, but I am just not very good at it... okay, yeah, I just don't want to.

I don't scrapbook. I severely lack any kind of skill to "cutesify" paper. So instead, I blog. One picture at the top of an electronic screen and that's about my limit.

I can't sew. My seventh grade table runner from Home-Ec class proves why. Or my mangled hot pad, for that matter. My mom recently asked me to help put my brothers' scouting merit badges onto their sash for their Eagle Court of Honor. I looked at her in bewilderment. "With the hot glue gun," she muttered. Oh, okay. I can do that.

I can't draw. Stick figures with massive chicken winged hands are my best method of articulating illustrative thought. Even as a little girl when I dreamed of becoming a fashion designer- I knew I was doomed.

So instead, I express myself by what I wear. Someone else can draw it, sew it, and slap it onto a mannequin.. And I will buy it. I truly value fashion as a form of personal artistic expression. As one of my best friends, Julie Andersen, once said to me, "You are so good at being you." In other words, "you wear some dangerous stuff, girlfriend."

But give me a large green grassy field, a pair of black Adidas Copas (sorry Mr. M. Hansen, it is the one athletic piece of mine that is unfortunately absent of the Swoosh), with a round air-filled ball.. And I will beat some people up.

The one thing I can take credit for that stems from the right side of my brain, is my handwriting. I think I have decent penmanship. But that definitely was not always the case. With every passing academic year, my handwriting changed, even up until my freshman year in college. I had to make a conscious effort in perfecting my visible written word.

My point from all this literary foreplay is this: I am not naturally gifted in the arts. I am nowhere near, nor will ever be, in the realm of Martha Stewart, or Diana Tueller Hulme, or Kimmy Harman. But my handwriting experience is evidence that I can improve. So when I volunteered to design the Nursing Pinning Ceremony (like unto a graduation) invitation, I even surprised myself. But I thought this very special occasion deserved class and taste; and I thought I had enough, so somehow it would work itself out.

So after exhausting all creative juices, this is the 5.5x4.25 inch Cardstock byproduct:



Today I received an e-mail from our nursing resource guru, who stated the head of the department of nursing was so impressed with my little invitation, that it will henceforth and forevermore... be the standard for all future pinning ceremony invitations.

Who knew?!?!?!

Certainly not me.

2 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

Hey...the link doesn't work! All this buildup & I can't see it! Please let me see!!!

By the way, thanks for the nice compliment. You're the sweetest. :) And I second Julie's comment.

Diana Hulme said...

No, you linked to a document on your computer, so you can see it on your computer, but when I click it tries to go to Meredith's Documents, which I clearly do not have. Ha!

You'll have to upload it to a website, then link to that. Or you could open it, click 'print screen,' paste in Paint & save (making a picture), then upload the picture?