Monday, December 8, 2008

Enough Already


Okay, okay.. so I am sure many of you will be thinking that very thought after reading this post. However...

I recently acquired this article from Quentin Smith regarding the phenomenon many of us like to call, Twilight. I began reading the piece with a cynical attitude, expecting just another article describing why so many fans (particularly girls and women) love the books and the subsequent cinematic adaptation. Yeah, yeah, I already know why we love it; no need to convince me, or inform me why it is such a success, I know. However...
The article is like poetry to my temporary glass half-emptied ears- as it so beautifully articulates my secret, a secret held by so many. Yes, it's long; yes, I skipped over the discussion about Gossip Girls and Harry Potter, because of course all I want to read about is Twilight. But with an at-first skeptical, soon-turned addict Twilight reader as the article's author (who happens to be older, and thinks of herself 'too mature' for young adult fiction), her sensual words poignantly embodies the allure behind the story.

The rapture of the naked soul, with it's natural human desires, instincts, and fantasies- can seize the psyche, no matter how sober from an ice cold glass of water. No matter how firmly we root ourselves in spiritual beliefs, no matter how green we want to go, or how far we earn formal education, no matter how deep our pocketbooks run... there is an undeniable, irreplaceable, and utterly irrevocable quality we cannot ignore. No matter how far we may refuse, or stifle, or hide it. For some it may be just a faint outline of the elephant in the room, or for others it may be a full fledged raving tie-dye rendition, with fireworks and kinetic chinese dragons.

To love without reserve; to romance with unconditional force; to lust animalistically; and to seize the exclusive invitation for our innate passions is a unique gift. Even if it means simply sitting within inches of, or a touch on the arm, from the one who is the sole catalyst of these fascinating (cardiac and neurologically controlled) entities, regret from savoring it rarely takes seed.

Twilight does not speak of this in a whisper. It is free of a tone of gossip, clearly lacking the image of two teenage girls cupping their hands to their mouths in an attempt to even fend off the best of lip readers. No, Twilight acknowledges, embraces, and celebrates the bewitching power of the human sensuality.

This is why I find great delight in Twilight. It is the passion behind the fictional story- passion to be emulated, admired, and desired. The kind of physically aching, heart palpitating, breath crushing passion.



....Oh yeah, did I tell you I was a hopeless romantic?

1 comment:

Nellie said...

I FINALLY saw it today -- totally alone, I might add, except for the three other women in the theatre. CB said he'd go with me, but frankly I didn't want the Ph.D analyzing this one. I was surprised I liked it as well as I did -- I do love the books and movies never quite do it for me. This one was really fun, and you are 100% right about that Rob Patterson -- pretty easy on the eyes. I came home and gave "my" vampire boy a large smooch. :) Don't worry -- you'll find yours soon . . . . Or maybe you already have -- if not, I have a really cute brother and I swear he's not a shrimp like me. He plays rugby at BYU -- XOXO

Will I see you in SLC when we are there or will you be up North?