Monday, July 27, 2009

Must Be Those New Purple Nikes

Have I ever told you that I love to run?

Well, now you know.

When I sold my soul to college athletics ALL those years ago, little did I know that not only did I agree to become a full time soccer player, but also a runner and a weight lifter. Major bummer to the latter. So naturally that has been nixed post medical retirement.

But running has remained. And so it shall. I never expected to grow so fond of pounding the pavement, but it has blossomed into a serious love-hate relationship. But mostly love. Even if a major blood blister develops under your right big toenail mid 10K race on July 24th, 2009, and will inevitably cause a separation of nail and toe. So long dead keratinized cells. Your 6 month presence was worth it. See your offspring in another six!

So I am yet again training for a marathon, round two. October 3rd, St. George, Utah.

I find myself actually wanting to run everyday. Well, almost. After a filling dinner at Zupas and a Krispy Kreme doughnut for dessert, running takes a back burner for emesis sake.

But what crosses my mind as I type this dedicatory Chariots of Fire post?

Fine, I'll just run tomorrow morning.

Will I do it?

Probably not. But it's the thought that counts, right?

Woah. Wait.

How strange. As soon as I fueled a sufficient amount of self-doubt, I suddenly felt even more empowered to prove myself wrong.

Oh! Right! This is why I love running so much!

COMPETITION!

Post Script: For posterity sake, I feel the need to be self-promoting momentarily. I finished my 10K (6.2 miles) in 49 minutes, providing for 7.9 minute miles. Prefontaine may be disappointed, but this ex-foot fairy was pleased.

Now we all know how much I hold 8 hours of sleep to be most sacred.

Hence, my eyes must say their final goodbyes to a black keyboard that is missing the letter "q" and my ears to newly purchased running beats.

Hello "Strawberry Avalanches" and "Vanilla Twilights."

If you don't follow, type Owl City into iTunes and you soon will. And you will fall victim, just as I have.

Goodnight hot sticky summer July Salt Lake City night...

No comments: