Monday, June 23, 2008

"Family 'and friend' Matters"

Secret of Life #1. “Family Matters” The TV Show.
An oldie, but a goodie. Doesn’t really apply to anything that has occurred this week, but my title brought this past time favorite television series to the forefront of my mind. Steve Urcle. I love nerds, particularly as time has given me more years under my belt.

Secret of Life #2. Spontaneity.
11:30pm, Salt Lake City, UT, post wedding reception with Wylie. He came up with the brilliant plan to drive to Boise to surprise our fathers for the paternal celebration on June 15th. We hopped in my white Saturn Ion, drove through the night splitting the driver’s seat occupancy. As soon as it was Wylie’s turn after filling up in Burley, my Jackson Browne soon turned to hard rock and roll… Nevertheless, I passed out, and woke up to our vehicle roaming the streets of Boise at 4 in the morning. I snuck into my house, after ALMOST being caught by daddy-o as he awoke to help with my brothers’ paper route. 8am, my dad comes into the bedroom to wake my brother up for church, and I throw off the covers, wrap my arms around dad and pass on the Happy Father’s Day message in person. He was shocked, or at the very least, very confused. Due to an 8pm flight Wylie needed to catch back to Boston from Salt Lake, we left Boise ten hours after arriving. Totally worth it. And I owe it all to Wylie, the brains behind the mission.

Secret of Life #3. Summer Vacations.
Particularly when they include a visit to me in the great city of Salt Lake. Time spent with Grandmother Clifford (Nani) as she recovers from ailing health dilemmas, taking my baby sister to Gateway mall for sister-sister and Build-a-Bear excursions (not to mention slumber parties at Grandma Mangum’s, my current place of residence, and listening to Abigail giggle in her sleep). Wedding dinners with the four eldest Mangum’s, and consequently all being present to meet my date for Friday evening.. Again, Nate, we are now even (not that revenge was even remotely necessary, but it just worked out that way). But the inevitable withdrawal from family going back home is never pleasant. Looking forward to 4th of July in Sun Valley with the loves of my life.

Secret of Life #4. Above and Beyond Expectations.
Mike, this is all you. All you. The stigma has finally been defeated, ten fold. Thank you for that. My faith has been renewed, but still get a laugh out of your imitated sweet motherly voice saying, “Ohhh look at the stupid football players!”

Secret of Life #5. Get Smart.
Hilarious! My intellectual quota may not have increased after viewing such great Hollywood entertainment, but the laughter certainly did a healthy number on my physical body. Blood pressure down, pulse down, endorphins up, smile widened. Steve Carell is brilliant. Definitely recommend, particularly if you can manage the same company with which I was fortunate enough to secure.

No comments: