Monday, June 30, 2008

Birthday Week

Secret of Life #1. Wednesday.
The big day. My 21-run. My Flash my ID to get into the Bayou Bar and Buy a bunch of Diet Coke with it Day. You were AWESOME. And my two girlfriends, Jessica Kruger and Julie Andersen, who bless my life in so many facets of kindness, laughter, and love, drove up from Orem to take me out. And they came bearing gifts, and they bought my dinner (and my diet cokes). Felt like a rockstar to share my 21st with my best friends. And who knew the movie, Iron Man, was going to be such a hit? And who knew Robert Downey, Jr., when not intoxicated on some addictive substance, would be so attractive? And I mean… ATTRACTIVE?

SoL #2. Thursday.
It was the running joke at work that the new bar scene was affecting my work performance, even so much that my boss secured a long piece of scotch tape to the floor and made me “walk the line.” Naturally, I passed with flying colors, despite caffeine overload from the Mormon coffee I pounded the night before. Grant Smith took me out later to a very authentic Mexican restaurant (which to our pleasant surprise really did have AC even if it is in the form of a swamp cooler- and blew directly onto my face the whole time). He even was so kind as to let me buy his cooking wine from the liquor store, which resulted in a congratulations from the cashier and tenures of wisdom added to my countenance. Julie, a girl who truly is always up for anything (for those of you who think you can claim such a title, you need to meet this gal), took me 80’s dancing at Area 51 club in downtown Salt Lake. I was all decked out in black baby-bearin’ hip huggin’ leggings, a pink shirt—scrunched, gathered and tied at my hip—with large gold bangles dangling from my l’oreilles, and joined Julie, her friend Cade, and David Kruger to rock the night away to great oldies from two decades past. {Side Note: Props to David for being up for dancing upon receiving my phone call at 10:30pm, even with Utah football practice a mere 7 and a half hours away, and showin’ off some mean dance moves.}

SoL #3. Friday.
Two Words: Jerry Seinfeld. Enough Said. But… Must add some commentary for those who are not fortunate enough to know the comical greatness this man exemplifies. Went to dinner at DoDo in Sugarhouse with my brother, Parker, cousin Brad Clifford and girlfriend, Julie (a reoccurring theme in my birthday week). Great company. Witnessed epic comedy at Abravanel Hall with Mr. Seinfeld cracking witty and impeccably delivered jokes about everyday situations. Had a few moments where Julie and I were collapsing on one another, laughing so hard the actual laughter was not audible, but more like gasps for air, as the tears welled. And it’s interesting, in retelling the jokes the legendary comedian expelled, they just aren’t as funny coming from me. Thank you, Friday, for first of all being the last week day, being the introduction to the weekend, for allowing late night hours and convincing Saturday to permit sleeping in. And second of all, thank you for Jerry.

SoL #4. Saturday.
Slept in. Til noon. I may have hit the sheets around 3:45am, however… so the 12pm awakening isn’t TOO shameful. A birthday lunch for myself and my adorable cousin, Alex Mangum, ensued at DoDo’s (repeat from the night before), with her mother and my grandmother. I could totally get super cheesy right now, but will save you the grief and just say this: I have been blessed with such amazing family who stand for good, respect, education, principles, health, kindness, generosity, encouragement and friendship. I told my grandmother post-lunch on the drive home, “I think I am in love with Alex and her mother.” She could not agree more. And to my delight, Saturday evening consisted of more Jess and Julie, TJ Maxx and Ross, Wendy’s salads and Diet Coke, The movie-The Brave One-and sweetarts.

SoL #5. Sunday.
Church at Julie’s ward.. and church with many handsome men. I was quite impressed with the genetic material sitting in the same chapel as myself. And this goes for my girlfriends. As Julie walked up to the pulpit to give her FHE announcement in her tight little black dress, I leaned over to Jess and whispered, “Julie? So hot.” And of course, I said that out loud as my inner thoughts were shouting salmon is SO Jess’ color!

Thank you to all who offered birthday wishes, who spent time and money in my behalf. It was such a great week- one for the books. Here’s to a great start to a great year. And here’s to being legal!

1 comment:

Kruger Family Blog said...

Thanks alot Meredith. I will remember to wear it next time I see you. I didn't know I turned you on that much. LOVE YA!