Monday, March 9, 2009

The Real Deal

So ever since I have been working post graduation, I have called myself an RN (a registered nurse). From emails, to phone conversations, even down to my new business card, RN has followed my alliteration namesake.

Yes, I graduated from nursing school, so yes, you'd think I was an RN. It was safe enough I could get away with it.

But now...? Ever since last night....?

I AM a registered nurse!!!!!!

I passed the nursing boards!!!!!!

(I typically stray from using more than three exclamation marks- don't ask why, but the "power of three's" rule my mother taught me doesn't only apply to decorating. But THIS called for DOUBLE exclamation points.)

The RELIEF and BURDEN that has been lifted is so great. This has been the bain of my existence since last August when I first began to study and prepare, when the anxiety began to ride my nerves like Danica Patrick at the Daytona 500.

And as my palms were sweating and my breathing was quickening, it was marvelous to be surrounded (literally) by some of the people I love most to read the online results (for which I had to pay a lousy $7.95).

And of course, I cried.

So that RN written on my business card is now 100% certifiable. I am now a Real Nurse.

My plans for celebration?

A Cafe Rio, Pork Barbacoa salad.

And one massive Diet Dr. Pepper (spiked with a little Absolut, perhaps...?) in a cup filled with pebble ice.

And I will eat the WHOLE Cafe Rio divinity, tortilla included.

4 comments:

Amy said...

YAY!! I am so happy for you. What a relief to pass and be official:)
Enjoy every bit of Cafe Rio, I sure do miss the pork salad.

Anonymous said...

We're defiantly going to have to go out and celebrate! Something to be proud of. Congratulations!!

Nellie said...

Congrats, M!! We are so proud of you -- what a huge relief!

Abigail Mangum said...

Good thing you asked me if you could check your scores on my laptop the other day or the fam wouldn't have been able to see the word PASS on your grade!

I hope you have a great life as a REAL nurse, Mer. We love you and are always there for you! Congrats!