Thursday, March 18, 2010

Ripe for the Coughing


For the past two weeks, I have been on the cusp of falling ill. Scratchy, but not quite sore, throat. Fatigued, but not quite weak, body. Patronizing, but not quite productive, cough.


I was proud of my immune system for battling so well. It was fighting the good fight with its master in mind.


I even went home to Boise with hopes that a relaxing weekend with my family would reward my white blood cells for their efforts on my behalf.


Not so.


Thankfully, I do not feel ill. I can carry on as usual, but...


That fruitless cough decided it, too, was sick of hanging onto it's contents. Suddenly, I have very productive cough.


And it is disgusting.


Clearly, I have no shame. Because, I am the first to admit. It's gross!


So then I ask myself. I can still physically function and perform my job well, should I call in sick?


Nah.


I'll just pull the, "Oh I'm sorry. That sounded gross." And cough into the V-shape my right arm creates when bent at the elbow. That'll have to do...


PS; Didn't you just love this post?


PPS; As gross as my cough is, the first draft of this post was even more gross. I think you should feel grateful for my ability to exhibit restraint. You have to remember, I am a nurse after all.


PPPS; Tara, the picture of the little green booger germ thing is just. for. you!!!

No comments: