Friday, April 30, 2010

Show Me the Money


There have been many valuable lessons learned as I have entered the real world post college. Some were more grand than others. Some were more difficult than others. But a common theme amongst many of the lessons learned was money.


I have said this before and will continue to release it from my lips into the air...


Adulthood is expensive.


It's always been a strange idea that we have to make money to simply survive. If I want a roof under which to live, I have to make money. If I want to make my bi-monthly trip to Smith's Marketplace for groceries, I have to make money. Gas for my car? Money.


I also know that I am certainly one who works to live, and does not live to work. I love being a nurse and the many ways I get to help others find better health, but the job title is not at the crux of who I am.


With a pricey knee surgery and school bills headed my way, I have felt the need to create a more concrete budget and follow it closely.


Oh, look, another adult life lesson. Budgeting.


Like my mother mentioned the other day, "What has happened to Franklin Covey? They make such great daily planners. I would like an app for that."


Because we all want "an app for that," why not get a budget app?


So I did! It's called Budgetroid. And it rocks.


Now I can forget about saving receipts (like I did much of that anyway), and having to record each purchase into a Word Document, or Quicken (if I had that...). I simply whip out my cool new 3G android phone and access my app.


My uber cool Budgetroid app.


I select which category the purchase falls under, I type in the purchase amount, and wah-lah! I have a color coded, organized, and efficient method to keep on track.


Though often my blog posts are simply for me to record my own thoughts and experiences, I think this was subconsciously written for my parents.


See mom and dad? Your coaching has paid off. Cha-ching!