Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Tough it Out


I am a healthy individual. Lately, I have filled out so many health questionnaires for doctor's offices and surgery centers that I know when asked the question, "Do you have a history of..." I say no. To everything.


Same goes for seasonal colds and flu's. I rarely get sick.


Well, last weekend, my older and wiser brother, Parker, graduated from Brigham Young University.


My immune system must have known my family was coming into town, thinking it would be alright to let down its guard because outside help would be close by. More specifically, my mom would be there. And moms make the best nurses.


During Thursday's commencement proceedings in the Marriott Center, my body began to ache all over. It made me think, "Is this what fibromyalgia patients suffer from everyday?" But then I began to fidget so much from feeling so uncomfortable, I felt bad for the people sitting behind me. Maybe I should have popped a Ritalin just to appease their judgmental eyes.


As we made the drive from campus to a neighboring city for dinner, I stepped out of Jamal (our black Toyota Sequoia) and knew this was more than a flighty case of body aches. Sans bathroom, my lunch made it's reappearance next to a silver truck, with my mom and little sister standing guard. Needless to say, I had to constantly divert my senses away from the meatball sandwiches and pesto chicken pasta ordered that night by family members to prevent any future gravity defying stomach spills.


The saga continued, including Friday morning when I received a phone call from a friend, Derek, to ask an important question at 8am. He told me to suck it up and put my game face on. I responded with a good laugh and I fell back asleep.


With a little bit of luck, I made the trip back to Provo for the convocation ceremonies with my mom at the wheel of my car. Despite getting to know the Marriott Center's bathrooms a little too intimately that afternoon, it was an absolute pleasure to watch Parker strut across the stage and receive his diploma.


What. a. stud.


That night my mom made an emergency trip to Albertsons for the necessities and my little sister helped peel off my knee high boots and crawl into a cozy Boise State soccer sweatshirt.


Hopped up on Tylenol PM and a belly full of Sprite and Saltines, my fever broke that night.


Thank goodness, because I had to get up the next morning to teach a weight loss surgery class to potential patients.


Now how's that for a game face, Derek?

1 comment:

Abigail Mangum said...

Yeah, tough it up, Mary Kate & Ashley. :)

It was all my pleasure, sister. Of course I would want some help if I felt nauseous. (Did I spell that right?)

Love you lots,

♥ Abigail ♥