Monday, January 5, 2009

A Holiday Break: Yes, it's true a designated holiday break means a vacation from school and all of the wonderful components it entails: homework, deadlines, and hospital cafeteria lunches.
And so shouldn't a vacation mean catching up on some Z's, too?

Strange, but no.

Not when my "holiday break" means...

....Graduating, and the fun parties to celebrate this momentous occasion. Grandma and Grandpa Anderson (Mangum) even came to honor the graduate.

....Christmas. And Rich Man's Dessert. And cranberry salad, rolls, and cheesy potatoes. And valuable time with the Peays. And a fabulous new red pea coat.

....Rockin' knee high powder at Sun Valley and the inevitable deeeeep thigh burn.
....Early morning wakeup phone calls to ensure a timely departure for the ski hill.
....Perfecting 5 or 6 "expert-looking" turns in thick, wet, heavy snow under Pine Creek (chair six) at Bogus Basin. But then as I fear my increasing speed, I make one long turn, to then resort back to the expert I wish I was. Apparently I like to vacillate between good, and really good. Keeps me humble.

....Cheddar burgers for lunch, everyday, at Bogus. Complete with french fry condiments- yes, condiments. I am skiing hard; I will burn it off, right? I have never had so much cow and grease in one week. And not cared.
....Quick showers, no time for hair blow dryers, and then pretending like I fit in at Murphy's Steakhouse with wet locks and messily applied lipstick. But this time, I obeyed the "Eat More Chikn" suggestion.

....The greatest new year's eve. Ever. And the greatest kiss to usher in 2009. Ever. A big thanks to Kanye for his "Flashing Lights."

....Movie, after movie, after movie. Benjamin Button reaffirmed that the waterworks are still fully functioning.
....Dinners, drinks, and trips down memory lane with old friends. Great friendship may come and go, but remembering it happened is so rejuvenating.

....And after one day on the ski hill, learning that love can be rekindled. And ohhhhh the flame is burning. Hot.

Two thousand and eight could not have ended on a more beautiful note. I view this dramatic exit as a perfect entrance for the ninth year of this second millenia.

As I reflect back on the past couple of weeks, it is difficult to summarize all the fun into small bullet points. We all know I could write a novel on the black velour pant suit I received for Christmas, but for your sake, I will resist.

Hence, my New Year's resolution? To keep journaling, blogging, writing. Yes, I have been actively doing so since April, but it is a new found love of mine, and I want to always remember that. I often supplement my blogs with private personal entries on my Microsoft Word hard drive, but I have so enjoyed sharing my life with you. I am an open book; I tend to share a great deal of myself publicly, and I am not ashamed of it. I learn from you and your writings, and I only hope to offer you the same.

3 comments:

Abigail Mangum said...

Nice post. Thanks for showing the picture I took of you and Parker in your sweet new sweats. Fashionable! Rachel and Maddie have changed a lot! I haven't seen them since I was like in first grade! Oh, the good 'ol days. With Rachel calling me wedge when I was younger, and Maddie being as sweet as a songbird (don't know where that came from), I was a helpless four-year-old. And here I am now, a big, tall ten-year-old. Hurrah!
P.S. Nice template. We all love skiing in the old days!

Joy said...

oooo, pardon nosy me but I heard th@ luv has been rekindled... care to share? lol luvin' the suit!

Diana Hulme said...

Meredith, you must divulge more now that you've dropped several "in love" comments. How wonderful. :) And I really enjoy your blog, just so you know.