Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Deja Vu

Father & Mother Mangum (twenty-seven years)

SoL #1. Forty Five Years.

Yes, I just wrote about you a couple of days ago (see "SOL, specifically SoL #2" post below), and yet you have reappeared in my life, and within an almost identical context.

While taking care of a 68 year old man who had just undergone a colectomy (removal of part of his colon), a woman left his room and I asked what was their relationship. He stated, in his very thick New York accent, that was his wife and that she has been more worried about this surgery than him.
And, "after forty five years of marriage, when one of us has a stomach ache, we both have a stomach ache."
I stopped what I was doing at the moment, looked up at him and smiled a very toothy grin. And he couldn't help but laugh.
It may be due to my pensive pondering on your meaning from devoting a whole Secret of Life post to you previously that I immediately noticed your entrance into another conversation, but am I seeing a reoccuring theme for a reason? If so, PLEASE give me one hint as to why.. Clueless. Nonetheless, so nice to hear from you again. You are working miracles within the healthcare system and St. Lukes Regional Medical Center (especially 6 East and a lowly Nurse Apprentice named Meredith) thanks you. Keep up the good work.

No comments: