Saturday, April 12, 2008

SOL

Solely out of luck; usually implying a negative connotation, as someone is stuck, cannot further one's own circumstances in a positive direction. SOL. Except, here. Here is where you can find SOL to be (occasionally) uplifting, (possibly) enlightening, (maybe) laughter-inducing, and (hopefully, mildly..) entertaining. SOL. Or SoL, for emphasis. Mer's Secrets of Life.

SoL #1. Our Local Milky Way Galaxy Neighborhood Star.
After finishing my Mini-Spooners bowl of cereal accented with banana slices and 1% milk (the green lid), I took one glance outside and knew I could not let you or my breakfast of champions go to waste. Deciding to take my black lab, Cooper, for a walk, I soon realized HE would be walking ME. His excitement for your glorious shine and warmth seemed to mimic my own. Realizing what an odd pair Cooper and I must have seemed: His head willfully pushing down and forward against the strain of the cherry red leash, four legs moving at impressive master-imposed walking speed, my white knuckles holding on for dear life leading to the 180 degree angle of my right arm as it bounces up and down, attempting to maintain walking stasis according to the ever-growing leap created by my 5'10" frame; I couldn't help but offer a large toothy grin at such a scene. Feeling giddy in the midst of your warmth and shining glory, the smile soon turned to laughter. My step lightened, my smile grew, nothing could get me down. And Cooper took full advantage. Thank you, precious sunshine, for indulging my senses. I owe you.




SoL #2. Forty Five Years.
Taking care of a patient post-radical breast mastectomy tonight, I inquired of her journey through fighting cancer. Her husband said the doctor gave his wife 5 weeks to live if she did not have this surgery performed within the week. The husband sweetly remarked to the doctor, "Well that just isn't allowed. After 45 years of marriage, I need her in my life. And I am just too old to break in a new one." Here's to you, forty five years. The solidarity you have so graciously given to this marriage union is inspiring and tender. When your time is up and the years turn to fifty, fifty-five, sixty.. We will not and cannot forget you and the strength you afforded to allow fifty, fifty-five, sixty.. to come to pass.

SoL #3. Root beer Floats.
Mmmmm, you are the perfect treat following a VERY busy and active workload shift at the hospital. Would you mind cutting the fat, adding a bit more protein, and fortifying yourself with folate and fiber? My heart (and hips) would love you even more. If not, I will have to limit our time together and your travels through my digestive system. Thanks sweetreat.

No comments: