Thursday, August 14, 2008

Blank.

Out of habit, I immediately typed in my usual, “Secret of Life #1,” to begin this post.

And then, typing came to a screeching halt. Nothing.

And so it remains. I have had a moment when my usual upbeat, positive attitude was completely overshadowed by the ever-looming and soon-approaching departure back to Boise for my last semester of school. As much as I look forward to spending my last few months of collegiate life at home and with my immediate family, I really don’t want to leave Salt Lake. In any shape or form. I have become a true Utahan, a loyal Salt Laker. Even my car’s license plates points to such a declaration.

August 23rd is the dreaded day (and also because I am due to run 19 miles to remain on schedule for my marathon training- yes, the 26.2 mile race is still adamantly on my October 4th schedule). Why does my stomach wretch at the mere thought of leaving this glorious place? Such gastric acrobatics stem from a plethora of reasons (and I mean PLETHORA), but the one topping the list: People. The quantity and quality of people I have met here (and already knew) is astounding, and THAT list cannot be topped with one individual.

I feel like I will be missing out on something huge when I leave. Like I will become lost in translation; forgotten and tossed aside. As if my efforts in associating with old and new friends will all be for naught. I feel like I am just getting started- enjoying my new life in the Beehive state and absolutely thriving.

I know this: Frequent (I repeat, f-r-e-q-u-e-n-t), trips will be made from Boise to Salt Lake. Sophia (my Kia Optima) will become very familiar with the boring terrain stretching between those 400 miles; and naturally so, as she will want to return home to her registered state. So it’s not like I am disappearing off the face of the earth for four months. I will be back, often, and will be seeing my Utah loved ones as much as my bank account can afford. I have to keep telling myself that, over and over. And I also want to let my few-and-far-between Utah readers know that- and that YOUR efforts in befriending me haven’t been all for naught (particularly as of late: Callie, Kat, Nick, Leigh, Amy, and Mark). We will be in close contact until my permanent presence can be manifested after Christmas.

So, for now, I will enjoy every day I have left of this summer vacation. Hence, what I can manage to keep in harmony with my posting habits is this…

Secret of Life #1. Live each day as if it’s your last. (Metaphorically speaking,
of course.)

1 comment:

Leigh said...

fret not Meredith. You will not miss anything huge. And if you do, I'll make sure to keep you updated. I can't believe you're leaving so soon. Call me, or let's chat Sunday. We are booking a lunch. Or dinner. Something!