Sunday, August 31, 2008

Walking a Thin Line

Secret of Life #1. Healthy, and happy.
As the marathon approaches (October 4th is the dooms day...), and I look back at the (too) many miles I have pounded into the cement with my Aasics, I realized how beautifully my 'bum' knee has performed. After tearing my ACL twice (last ligament snappin': one year ago in August), and medically retiring from Boise State soccer, I was concerned as to how the joint would hold, but it was all for nought. If anything, it feels better than ever (at least since the second surgery); and I would credit that to the muscle bulking running so kindly distributes to my lower extremities. I have not even had to use the brace Dr. Klomp prescribed for me (Yes, an OBGYN prescribed me a knee brace- the perks of an MD as a family friend!). I will just have to save the black, large-and-in-charge knee stabilizer for skiing Come December, when I am wearing my latest purchase: 40% off a Scott Emerald ski jacket, black, and poofy. Sooo toasty.

And a second reason to be 'healthy, and happy,' remains with my stable mental state. My current nursing school clinical is the Psych rotation at a day center for those who are two steps away from hospitalization. My slight jitters and anxiety turned into a day spent coloring with crayons, eating frozen pizza, playing "two truths and a lie," and attending support group. It was such a unique and rewarding experience. My patient, whom I chose to evaluate at more length, was a paranoid schizophrenic; and without divulging too many details, the patient leads such a simple life (as she cannot drive due to heavy medications, immature judgment, and past automobile accidents while off meds) and finds such happiness in interactions with others, coloring (for hours on end!) and spending Saturdays going to the local KFC to play Bingo.

If she were walking on the street, she would be unidentifiable as someone who struggles with mental illness. In other words, she could be any one of us. Mental health walks such a fine line and we all can relate to overwhelming stress, anxiety, and how to deal with it. I never had an opportunity until last Wednesday to appreciate how rare it is that I have a head that sits on my shoulders and stays put (most of the time, anyway...).

Secret of Life #2. NEW MUSIC!
With a laptop that was incapacitated and out of commission for three and a half months, I was deprived of one of my true loves: Brand spankin' new tunes, particularly on my iPod. Previous to the summer months, I admit to being a hardcore constant-and-needy fresh music addict, as I would update my iPod at least once a week with new catchy jingles. After playing major catch up this week (as I have a rejuvenated Dell laptop up and running at my fingertips), I went for a run almost everyday, as the updated running mix is SO inspirational.

To Steve Jobs (or any other braniac behind iTunes): Please enjoy this month's mortgage payment; no worries, it's on me. You are so very welcome.

Love,
An ironically $0.99-per-song ripped off, yet happy customer in Boise

1 comment:

Sarajane said...

so fun to get a comment from you on my blog. you are amazing- good luck with the marathon. Just watching the Olympic marathons made me think that I never want to do that, but yet there is a part of me that thinks maybe someday I need to do it.