Sunday, September 21, 2008

Oldies, but Goodies


Secret of Life #1. Steel Magnolias.


So it's been a rainy weekend (two thumbs way down), filled with great friends, late nights, and virgin pina coladas; so I was all for a relaxed, cozy PJ-wearing Sunday afternoon. And that's definitely what I received, thanks to my inner-rebel convincing me I can do those NCLEX practice questions another day...


I thought to mitigate the ensuing storm outside, I would sink into the comfiest corner of the couch and pop in my newly purchased $5 dollar DVD, and one of my all time favs- Steel Magnolias. Oh boy, was THAT a mistake. Instead of calming the storm outdoors, I merely brought it INSIDE! No matter how purposefully detached I make myself while watching this classic (and I was doing SO well), the scene in which life support is discontinued... I absolutely lose it. Every time. I turned a complete 180- I wasn't sensing any sort of physical emotion (ya know, the painful throat tightening, fighting back overwhelming tears, and the consequential mascara smearing of welling eyes), and I literally thought to myself, "Man! I am doin' good!" (Bad grammar, I know, I know). And all of a sudden, it just HIT me, like a ton of bricks. I was a goner. Instinctively, I immediately tried to fight it, but that uber painful throat swelling hurt too bad, and I gave up all hope.


I'm such a sucker for tear-jerkers; I really should know better. If someone had seen my severely vulnerable state of hiding under a red blanket, laying in a near-fetal position, and rapidly wiping tears away before the salty sensation could be tasted on my lips- one's opinion of me would have been undoubtedly negatively altered. Good thing I was alone...



Wedding cakes in the form of armadillos, hairspray and 'delicate pink' nail polish, 'blush' and 'bashful' as the bride's favorite colors... "I would rather have 30 minutes of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special."

No comments: