Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What's in a name?

Secret of Life #1. My surname.

Meredith. A very unique and uncommon, previously male's name in the Victorian 1600's. Followed by Kaye. My grandfather's (more affectionately known as Papa) name, feminized with an 'e' at the end, and more than just a monosyllabic initial, despite the vocalized pronunciation. And topped off with Mangum. Represents a Scottish heritage, belongs to my father, the 'g' hangs with the 'man' like 'mango', and a name which I even butcher when introducing myself.

{Note to divine intervention, or to whoever is the committee chair of my already established divine plan: Twenty one years of a difficult last name, so much so I avoid having to say it, I fully deserve a nice 'n easy new last name when I someday tie the knot. Thanks.}

But, what if I was one of Sarah Palin's offspring? What then?


With children responding to the name of Track, Trig, Bristol, Willow, and Piper, pretty sure Meredith wouldn't even get a second glance. Thanks to a friend's inspiring blog post, Leigh Dethman, all curious minds can be satisfied.

So, if I was a daughter of Sarah Palin and was forced to relinquish all of my dirty little secrets to the entire country, my birth certificate would read Rake Trinket Palin.

Rake....??? ....Trinket??

Pretty sure no matter how hard my Palin parents attempted to exude anger and yell my name, laughter would only ensue. Mom and dad, no, I can't take anyone seriously who thinks yelling, "Rake Trinket!!!" at the top of their lungs really would give me a scare.

Just call me RT. Even better.

I know you are curious too. Go on, see what Mrs. SP would name you here.

1 comment:

Nellie said...

This is hilarious. Mine is (and I'm not kidding) "Meat Notgay Palin." Seriously. And you thought "RT" was bad.

I take it you are not a McPalin supporter?