Wednesday, September 10, 2008

One of THOSE...


Secret of Life #1. Brothers.
Yes, I am SO going to be one of those sisters, for a brief shining moment, at least. So, please, humor me, as I rant and rave about my brother's accomplishments.

Friday night, 7pm, my family and I make the 30 minute drive out to Kuna High School to watch the opening Timberline HS football game. Upon exiting the car, a strong and undeniable waft of COW is inhaled through the nostrils, immediately affirming my current location- yep, welcome to Kuna, folks. Was this indicative of the evening's future outcome? Should I be reading into the formidable live beef stench and the sweat and blood poured into maintaining such an aroma by the people of this town? Meaning, are these Kuna 'Kavemen' we are about to battle on the green (if dead grass is the new trend) football field so 'tuff and gruff' from their familial lifestyle, we should fear?

Apparently, the answer is a big. fat. NO. At least not if your a Mangum.

Okay, okay, I am getting ahead of myself, I admit. However, a senior wide receiver/defensive back who intercepts a pass on one of the first defensive plays and runs it back for a touchdown, makes six catches throughout the three hour war, and later catches another pass in the end zone for a second TD, will respond to the name of Madison MANGUM (a.k.a. my 17 year old younger brother). Furthermore, a freshman quarterback (I repeat, freshman- yes, that makes him 14 at the time), who threw for 335 yards, 4 TD passes (with one to the aforementioned wide receiver) and earned the starting position, has a birth certificate that not only proves his infancy, but reads: Tanner MANGUM (a.k.a my now 15 year old brother, as of September 8).

Such a night has to be one of my proudest moments as a sister. My cheers, claps, screams, jumping and any excited noise or movement possible was unparalleled. I told my mother, "I think I ache just as much as you do." And though I may have made a fool out of myself by yelling, "Mangum to Mangum, baby," or "(#)11 to (#)4! 11 to 4!" every other down, I really don't care. I was ecstatic. Elated. SO PROUD.

And did I mention a collegiate quarterback converted wide receiver, whom after earning a spot on BYU's football squad last season (and I mean really, no one works harder than him), tearing an LCL which required surgical repair, and a severely strained hamstring currently placing him on the injured list, he STILL is working out everyday to regain his health? Now that's dedication, and you can't teach that. Oh and by the way, his name is Parker MANGUM, my older brother.

And now I must relinquish my act as being that sister; at least until Friday...

1 comment:

Nellie said...

Wow. I'm not surprised -- it is so fun hearing about your family via your blog. Keep being "that" sister, please!

I feel so old to think your "little" brothers are that old. I remember them when they were so tiny, especially 2-year old Tanner destroying Nani and Papa's house in SLC. So cute.