Monday, October 27, 2008

Update:

1) Though Timberline football could not come out on top in their game against Mountain View Friday night, it indelibly left their State Playoff hopes in the hands of another team's win. A big, fat, thank you to Borah High School, for blowing the Boise Braves out of the water and into the trash can. Your efforts in ceasing the progression of Boise High football for this season, and permitting the Wolves to persevere into State, is SO VERY MUCH appreciated. Though perhaps I should be sending your school my medical bills from the exacerbated ulcer tearing it's way through my gut upon the impending results of your game.

Scales of Justice: 1, Boise High: 0.


2) The new hair stylist, recommended by my mother, is money. Literally, and figuratively. I finally walked out of a hair salon wanting to show off my new trim because my locks were finally thoroughly blow-dried, straightened, de-frizzed, and tamed. My checking account, however, wanted to go run and hide from anymore "swiping." Amber at Beehive Hair, River Street in Boise, Idaho: You rock!

Scales of Justice: 1, Half-Dried Frizz Ball Hair: 0.

3) Long story short: An inattentive driving ticket gone awry (from my rollover car accident in July), lead to a "Failure to Appear" (as I received ZERO notification of when I was supposed to show up in court), and a consequential warrant for my arrest. Yup; I was an outlaw of the state of Idaho for a bit...

So after some tears and careful consultations with a lawyer, it was decided I needed to "turn myself in." Ada County Jail soon became an acquaintance of mine, as I waited for hours on end with my mother to post bail, take my mug shot, and get fingerprinted. All the while, separated families were piling in by the dozens to visit with inmates, and lockdown cement bare white walls became my emotional prison. I SO did not belong there; this whole mess was really ridiculous.

Nonetheless, $525 dollars later and a few boring-all-you-can-do-is-stare-at-the-wall hours, I walked out of there with a criminal record to my name, a void warrant, and a new court date. My likely punishment for this whole miscommunicated mess? Just some more fees. Yes, this whole debacle really was unnecessary.

Scales of Justice: 1/2, Mile Marker 107 on I-84 (and the still visible car swerve marks): 1/2.

3 comments:

Diana Hulme said...

What an awful story! You were arrested!!!!!!!! Oh my gosh that is totally one of those things that you are like, "This cannot be happening!" Please tell me you have a copy of the mug shot. That would make it all worth it.

Nellie said...

I can't believe you had to be booked!

I once went to court for a friend in TX and got her off scot free (by the way), but she did have to spend some hours in jail when the event happened. It just goes to show you that our "criminal" justice system is broken -- we are spending time and $$ on those who are NOT criminals.

Meredith said...

Just to clarify: I was not really "arrested," but rather sat in the waiting room (if such a drab echo-ey room can be coined as such) with my mother, to follow through with the small technicalities of my warrant. No hand cuffs or orange jumpsuits came my way.

STILL, though... It was ugly. Never again.

PS- Nellie, if I was apart of a jury listening to your testimony in court, I would automatically think, "This woman is too cute to have criminal friends! She MUST be innocent." :)