Monday, October 20, 2008

Visible Light


Secret of Life #1. December 18, 2008.

Graduation from nursing school is so close, I can taste it! A date less than two months away represents the end of my nursing school training at Boise State University; what a long journey it has been, and what a long way I have come. As I finish up my rotational clinicals at St. Alphonsus hospital on the ICU, CCU and neuro floors, I even surprise myself at how quickly I can formulate a concept care map for certain diagnoses- particularly when it involves a failed suicide attempt gun shot wound to the head. Or a sixty year old mother and grandmother who dies of a massive cerebellar hemorrhage, leaving her brain dead and having to cease all ventilator support with all six children gathered around her bedside. Yes, I have come a long way; and my perceived honor in soon calling myself a nurse has only increased.


Secret of Life #2. The Final Stage.

So as I commence the close of my formal education at BSU, I really scored a big one. The last five weeks of the semester are deemed as the "preceptorship," referring to an intern-like hospital experience and putting together the final pieces before dismissing student status and saluting professional registered nurse. Being one on one with the same nurse for the entire 90 hour requirement and taking on a full patient load, the preceptorship is a big deal. And you want to be somewhere meaningful and of great interest. So yes, I really scored a big one.


St. Luke's Hospital: Labor & Delivery.

My first pick! For SO many reasons! Not only will I get to witness and play a small role in the miracle of life (as I have not yet been the mother laboring, nor plan on doing so in the near future), but I will get to be surrounded by (for the most part) healthy women and their families, who actually want to be in the hospital, with very little code browns to promote questioning my interest in my collegiate choice of study. Yup-I am going to help deliver me some baybays!

2 comments:

kimmy girl said...

miss meredith!!!!

What a fantastic surprise to open my blog up to today!!! First, i have heard of the famous mer from boise that the boys love. i have been so excited to meet you, and am THRILLED to hear you are going to be in slc. we can be friends. in fact im pretty sure we already are.

i cant wait to blog stalk you as you blog stalk me (stalking is welcome by the way). you know a way into a girls heart.

Anonymous said...

Em: I'm SO excited for you! Labor and Delivery sounds exciting. I can't wait for you to come back and tell me all the stories from nursing school. Good Luck :)