Thursday, November 6, 2008

Day One

Secret of Life #1. The miracle of life.
Even when it is in sharing with complete strangers.

I helped deliver my first baby today. And it was beautiful.

Why?

Because I connected with a wife and a husband, a mother and a father, in such a deep manner that the only way to describe it is through my reaction at the baby girl's birth. I cried. I looked up at the father, and he was crying. And we cried even more.

Okay, we ALL know, this was not the first time I have ever experienced an utter lack of tear duct blockage. However, my reaction completely startled me; totally caught me off guard. But that is truly the essence of the miracle of life; God working at His finest. Being a sweet young family giving birth to their second little girl, whom I had only known for a mere 5 hours, we were able to make such an impact on one another. One that I truly will never forget.

And as strange as it was, I saw myself in this birthing mother. I am single; and not even as a marital status, I am not even dating anyone. I am nowhere near childbirth. But I felt close to this woman. And she happened to be married to a man who looks so similar to my first love. In a very honest way, my heart ached. Despite my best efforts for self preservation, I inevitably felt the burn and pain of a breaking heart. It had been awhile. And it stung; and it stings.

And my cheeks soon became covered in salt.

I am wiped out. But alas, day two: tomorrow.

2 comments:

Nellie said...

Wow. What a great experience! I would dearly love to be part of a birth where I wasn't the one doing the actual delivering! I mean, it's great and all, but to experience the OTHER side of things would indeed feel miraculous. Well done!

Amy said...

What a great experience. You think you cried just participating. Wait till you have your own. I agree that it is a miracle, every child is a miracle and a blessing.