Monday, November 3, 2008

Fleeting Sunlight

Secret of Life #1. Daylight Savings Time.
But only when we fall back; and even if it means a speedier westbound sun, because...

...as I sat in class today, I had a moment. A moment of gratitude, of inner peripherally radiating warmth, and a moment of contentment.

Sitting in my navy blue khakis, and a collared shirt revealing its baby blue stripes at the nape of a cozy fall camel-colored sweater's neck, my mind wandered from the illuminated white powerpoint screen and glanced to the window at my left. As the man-made light reflected off my glasses in the overly darkened room, I realized the superfluous indoor gloom stemmed from the impending nighttime scene creeping upon our campus.

"Oh, yeah, " I thought to myself, "Daylight Savings Time. Right."

And my usual response would then ensue as a depressing sigh, or a silent groan, as the quickened darkened sky signals the official turning of the summer tides. But this time, my initial reflexive reaction was different. I had my moment.

I felt grateful to be sitting in a classroom, learning and educating my mind. I renewed my love for warm autumn sweaters. I slipped into a mesmerizing coma as I stared at the City of Tree's fiery reds, yellows, and oranges warping themselves into the shape of leaves. And most of all, I had a moment of passion and zeal for the gift of life. I took in a large dose of oxygen through my nose, closed my eyes for a few brief seconds, and rezoned on the educational lecture topic at hand...

And so I hope to find these moments everyday, because there is something or someone, with every new sunrise, that can trigger the intoxicating satiety cascade as it's pumped through the veins with each heartbeat.

And it even rained today.

1 comment:

John and Julie Kupper said...

Its funny, because I had a moment today as well.... a moment of bitter cold misery as I sat in my office (which is much colder than any other room for some reason) with NO WINDOWS and wet feet from the rain out side.... but then I checked my sister Kaerilgs new post on her blog and found a ton of old retro disco pictures back in the day, and it made me smile :)