Monday, November 10, 2008

Feel the Burn

Secret of Life #1. Autumn in Boise.
With a morning to sleep in and a flexible afternoon to follow, I decided to take advantage of my youth, healthy lungs, new music on the iPod, calorie reserve from the inevitable Sunday overindulgence, and the magnificent fall colors dans Les Bois. I ran up to Table Rock (yes, for fun!) and spent too much time gazing into the valley below.

Having overheated on the battle upward, I had wrapped my black long sleeve dri-fit shirt around my waist. However, standing on the steep plateau overlooking the city below, the wind chilled the sweat against my skin, so I unwrapped the shirt from my waist and stuck my arms into the sleeves. As I stood on the graffiti-covered cement bench with my brunette ponytail whipping in the wind, I took a deep breath and looked longingly to the farthest visible point and soaked in the brilliant colors flooding the horizon.

I spotted Timberline High School, and White Pine Elementary a mere hundred yards away from it. I guessed the approximation of my home, and of my usual running route on Parkcenter boulevard. My heart surged with pride as I clearly identified St. Luke's hospital, then St. Alphonsus, and followed the freeway to St. Luke's Meridian. The posh new Boise State football field sky boxes stood out against the perfect blue sky and pointed in the direction of the BSU soccer/tennis bubbles, where I had practically taken up residence for the past 5 years of my life.

This is my home. My city; my twenty one year old life and my memories. I love Boise.


Secret of Life #2. Rocking out to "Bottoms Up," by Keke Palmer.
In my bedroom. By myself. Wearing my pajamas. In front of a mirror.

How else do you better prepare for a killer run up Table Rock?

4 comments:

John and Julie Kupper said...

I can relate all this... running is fabulous.. and singing in the mirror! ohhhh yeah

Diana Hulme said...

I love Boise too. :)

I think your little profile picture that comes up when you comment is HOT.

Anonymous said...

Em,
Like always... beautiful. I love your attention to detail. I felt as if I too was on top of Table Rock, no visual picture needed.

Anonymous said...

Having been to table rock only once... in what seems like a vaguely distant other life... i could barely recall the view of the city from there. But thanks to a quite descriptive narration i was taken back to a warm summer afternoon many years ago... thanks for that! :)